Home Compilations Events Contact Us

Thursday, June 21, 2007

THE POLICE STILL GOT IT

In a freakish moment of good fortune, I got a last minute call to go to see THE POLICE last night at the Staples Center. Even cooler was I had JOE WALSH's seats. Being that the tickets were ridiculously priced and sold out quickly, I had resigned myself to what I saw at the Grammy's of them and the pictures from Bonarroo as my fix of these three for this reunion tour. Truth is, in 9th grade, my mom didn't let me go to the Syncronicity Tour, and I was absolutely devastated. As a freshman, that album was like magic back in '83 to me, the songs of obsession and frustration were perfect for my high school crushes that went nowhere. So I never got to see them together live, and seeing Sting do his solo stuff doesn't exactly count. Sting still can yelp with the best of them, but like he said during one of the first songs of the night, it "the Stuart Copeland Show". That guy is a freak of nature, in the best possible way. Towards the end of the set they did seem a bit tired, not disinterested, but tired. I realized I was too, and that if it's been 24 years since they've played together, that I'm getting kinda old. I looked around me though, and I was still the youngest by a good bit in every direction.

Set List:
Message in a Bottle
Synchronicity II
Walking On the Moon
Voices Inside My Head
When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Driven To Tears
The Bed's Too Big Without You
Truth Hits Everybody
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking in Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You
Roaxanne
First encore:
King of Pain
So Lonely
Second encore:
Every Breath You Take
Third encore:
Next to You

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I too was a big fan- luckily, I had weird parents who let me go- I saw the last tour 7 times on the East Coast. Paid $35 for front row tickets I camped for. That was big money for me then....
I too got a last minute chance to go to the show- I have 3 kids- I'd need a new mortgage for my Police habit these days! But Gold seats right next to the mix position for two for one basically- well, I was in!

First, I think there was brilliant musicianship- it wasn't right off the record, they tried (some moments better than others) to change things up a bit and grow the songs musically. As I said, some moments worked better than others, some arrangements I didn't think were as strong. Others were amazing.
While I didn't always totally love the re-arrangements I thought all 3 brought excellence to the stage- and yeah, I caught some of the mistakes.

But, I have been listening to the recorded music for 30+ years- if I wanted to listen to the recordings, I can do that at home.

I'm totally biased- I am a huge Stewart Copeland fan and that has not changed. He drove the entire performance for me. Never embarassing, never trying to be something he's not, in touch with his abilities and his age! God, the man just is amazing, surprising, delightful!(Andy was incredible too- he's a guitar virtuoso- not a 20 year old rock star)

As a technician, I can get caught in the technical aspects of the performance. I tried sooooo hard to ignore that- I was just getting into the business when the Police broke up (I am not that old) so their shows were some of the last i just purely enjoyed! That said, I didn't mind the paired down staging (the set is nothing new for designer Tait Towers- those zip lifts for the lighting are the only 6 like them and have been used before). I'd prefer to see them puton a great show than try to be too flashy- like a hot woman of a certain age trying to dress younger than she is- no thanks!

However, I thought the video production was great and very very much overshadowed the lights. The lighting used state of the art fixtures- to no use- simple washes, no syncopation with the music. I don't know who the LD and operators are, but I definitely got the sense that they familiarized themselves with the albums, don't know the new arrangements and just played it very very safe.
You're over 5 shows in now- play with it a little please- blue song, red song, come on!
My husband's also an ex roadie and not a huge Police fan- his comment? Ok, those guys are rockin up there and nothing is happening.
We didn't want a tarty overly flahsy show. And we know they didn't do it on the cheap- we can tell.

But the staging lacked what I would say would be a passion for the music as it stands today.
And I don't think the band lacks that- I think most people would have been satisfied paying top $$ to hear exact recreations. I was pleased they tried to infuse new life into the music for them.
Now, if only they could get that passion and enthusiasm into the lighting operators!

I'll be at Dodger on Saturday- am secretly hoping the Foos will add a little something more than just support act!

Still,despite my technical disappointments, I would pay all over again just to see Stewart and the other two playing the sings I grew up to with the adult version of the passion and enthusiasm they did 25 years ago.

One other NOTE: if you're a fan considering buying the VIP experience- don't bother really. It is a cocktail party with food. Not bad, but definitely not worth the extra cash- we got to go for cheap and have a decent dinner- LA- but I am sure at many gigs, esp in the smaller cities where local food is good but local catering at the gig sucks- would definitely not be worth it.Nice if you want to really impress someone, ut put your money into a better ticket! :)

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment